The Big Eye

Friday, June 17, 2005



I received this happy little melange of snack baggies, yarn bits, Big Eye Needles and hand-written (HAND-WRITTEN) pages the day before yesterday from the very sweet and VERY "attentive to detail," Miss Kathy.

Normally, I wouldn't blog about a piece of snail mail. I can't even remember when I last received any snail mail. But, this, THIS...well, I couldn't NOT blog about it -- for two reasons: 1) It shows that there are others just as (if not more) obsessive than I; and, 2) It's just so darn charming!

Here is an Illustrated list of Reasons Why This Package Totally Made My Day and Quite Possibly My Week:

1. The dainty, perfectly spaced handwriting. FIVE pages of it! FIVE!

2. The little bits of yarn carefully placed, like thumbnails, next to their respective descriptions -- really, my favorite part (see how Hello Kitty is flying UP toward the yanr bits? hehehe).

Hk_letter_cw_x1

Hk_letter_cw_x2

3. The "colorway" feel of the whole thing. As if I'm pouring through a Designer's Yarn Journal.

4. The descriptions -- accurate and peppered with signature Grumperina humor (I particularly enjoyed the use of the words "spiffy" and "loosey-goosey" and may have to appropriate those word for normal everyday usage).

5. The cute little "snack size" ziploc baggies (LOVE the little snack-size baggies!)

6. The PERFECTLY ROLLED bobbins! (Nobody, but NOBODY  rolls those yarn balls and makes those bobbins like Grumperina!)

7. The LABELS -- all carefully handwritten (My God! She's even MORE thorough than I am!)

Hk_letter_sp_x1

8. And, of course...the VERY best thing: HELLO KITTY STATIONERY!!! Just like mine! I even have post-its with this "Blue Angel Kitty!"

Hk_letter_hk_x1

So, you can clearly see why I needed to blog about this package.

Included in the package are samples of KnitPicks Merino, Louet Gems and Alpaca Cloud Laceweight. I'm LOVING the Louet and will definitely be buying some soon.

Also included in the package was a Big Eye Needle. I forgot to pick one up -- despite the fact that Kathy reminded me TWICE -- at BeadWorks last week and couldn't start my beaded adventures without one. The place closest to me has odd hours and I wasn't sure when I'd be able to get to it, so Kathy kindly offered to send me one of hers.

Hk_letter_group_x1

Isn't she the Best Egg?

(I love how the needle package says "The Big Eye." I'll probably go around saying that all week. "Don't give me The Big Eye!" She gave me The Big Eye." Hehehe.)

So there you go. A peek into my snail mail and an example of just how nice and obsessive-in-a-very-good-way knitters can be.

I'm totally motivated now tofinally start that Yarn/Fiber Journal!

8 comments:

Liz said...

Your package was good enough to make my breakfast! ;) Seriously, what a joy! I think we all need to carefully and thoughfully send snail mail like this a lot more often.

Diana said...

I also love Kathy's attention to detail!

Leisel said...

Being a bit obsessive/compulsive myself, I'm rather interested in your yarn/fiber journal idea. What types of things do you plan to include? How do you plan to arrange it?

Dani said...

What a wonderful person and package! How kind :)

Glad it made your day... I am going to check out the Louet!

grumperina said...

Oh, damn, I misspelled "kitty"! So silly! But not "stationery," which is much more tricky. Enjoy, Miss Paula!

Colleen said...

Kathy, sometimes I misspell my own NAME. Don't be so hard on yourself.

That Kathy, is she a gem, or what!

melanie said...

what a kick-ass package!! Lucky you!

cari said...

Isn't that Gems great? I'm almost done with the leaf lace shawl I'm making with it and I've loved working with it. I'll definitely need to make some socks out of that stuff in the future...

Post a Comment