My Name Is Black Olive And I'm a Sock Start-a-holic

Sunday, June 5, 2005

Ikpf_p1

I cast on for the Interweave Knits Padded Footlets -- found in the bowels of the current issue -- using Rowan 4-ply Soft in Splash (Turquoise) and Expresso (Chocolate).

I cast on for these a few days ago. I was just too ashamed to admit it. Isn't that silly? So, in order to make myself feel better, I rationalized that since these socks were lacey and involved focusing the attention -- they were justified. I'd have one mindless sock and one complex sock going at once.

See how nifty rationalization can be?

I then realized how close Father's Day is and remembered my Dad's request for a pair of socks. There was nothing else to do but to promptly cast on for yet another pair using Lana Grossa Meilenweit Multiringel (I have no idea what that means, but I'm guessing it means self-striping, because that's what they do). I've never used this Lana Grossa before. It's 80% New Wool and 20% Polyamid. They're a bit scratchy, but I knew my Dad wouldn't like the craziness of the Koigu, so I branched out for a more "manly" sock. I plan to do a pre-wash, and hopefully they'll soften-up a bit.

Ofds_p1

Ball_4


Now, in my defense, I did finish the Surf Socks -- not BEFORE casting on for the other two (so technically I did have three socks going at once for about one day) but soon after.

Rs_fo

Rs_fo_on_4

Rs_fo_shoe_1

I love the surf socks. Very comfy and just the right height.

I'm calling this my Summer of Socks. Since, for whatever reason, I have a few sock designs in mind for Sockapal-2-za and for my own amusement. So, I probably should just admit right now, that there will always be multiple socks on the needles while I work on the other non-sock projects.*

*That's how I refer to my projects now -- they're either, Sock Projects or Non-sock Projects -- because somehow, socks are excused from the overrall project count in my mind.

I told you people I was a little nuts.

(I have much to say about the Interweave Padded Footlet, but I'll save it for another post).

9 comments:

Dorothee said...

Hey there,

"Multiringel" means something like "multi-stripes", that you get many stripes (or rings) in different colors. "Meilenweit" means "miles and miles", or "miles away".

Cheers from Regia-country,

Dani said...

I LOVE your new socks! Those ones for your dad are going to be great... They are very man-ish! I wish I could make my dad socks, but he is THE MOST simple person ever and has his own remodeling business (hence, the highlight of his life is new tools)... He wears those carpender socks that you can get for 50 cents each! Totally WOULD NOT appreciate them...

I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with having a few pairs of socks going at once. Its cool you found something that you love to knit. I am like that with bags.

Have a great week Paula!

Leisel said...

I'm really loving the cuff detailing on your Surf Socks!

Colleen said...

Why am I the only knitter ever who doesn't enjoy sock knitting?

Love those manly stripes!

grumperina said...

Ooo, I like those colors for the man socks! I think the "Lana Grossa" *does* soften up after washing, more and more after each wash. I think someone told that to me a few weeks ago. Your summer socks are very cute, great job on those! I have much to say about the padded footlet, too. I'm curious what you have to say...

terhi said...

Oh, and I have to say that I really love your photos too. :-)

melanie said...

I love the surf socks! Can you remind us what the pattern is? The cuff is awesome.

Johanna said...

First of all, I totally agree with your two catagories of WIPs. Socks totally don't count in the whole scheme of things!

Those colors in the Padded Footlet are your colors! The same as the Scarlett colors you have. Summer is here, when will you start knitting on that lovely cotton?

Lastly, I love the surf socks, the cuff is great and the height is perfect. Go wear them out!

Vicki said...

I wanna eat your socks - they look yummy.

Post a Comment