Padded Footlet: Part 2

Tuesday, June 7, 2005
Ikpf_p2


I'm still working out the kinks of a new work schedule, and forgot to photograph progress on The Father's Day sock this morning. So, instead, I'll treat you to my thoughts about the Interweave Padded Footlets.

I have to say, this pattern was very well thought out. It's a fussy little sock to knit, but you can't accuse the Designer of not being detail-oriented. The sole is worked by carrying two strands of the main color yarn across the set of sole stitches and then dropping one of the strands as you make your way across the gussets and instep section. However, it isn't that simple. Carrying two strands all the way through would add to much bulk and expand the sole far beyond the rest of the sections, so to address this, the designer works one row double-stranded, another as a slip, k1 row and yet another as a purl1, slip1 row. And each end stitch is a purl stitch which helps make the transition to the extra bulk of the sole more finished.

I was worried about having chosen Rowan 4-ply Soft for socks, but with the added padding in the sole, it is not only super-soft but sturdy as well.

My only worry is that these socks are meant to fit a women's size 7-9 shoe size and mine seem to be working up a bit on the large size. But, they do seem more like sock/slippers than anything I'd wear out, so I'm not too worried.

In any case, it is a bit odd and fussy and not for the faint of heart, but it's a great pattern which can probably be adapted to other sock patterns for a sturdier house sock.

Of course, I'm only about one-third of the way through. So my pleasure could take a turn somewhere down the line. We shall see!

In any case, it's a fun knit and the lace pattern is quite nice. Look at the first instep repeat:

Ikpf_p2x1

And, if you notice in the image above, a version of the pattern is carried through on the heel as well. This is what I mean by attention-to-detail.

There is one typo in the pattern listed in the Interweave web site's errata page, but I'm way too tired and lazy to look it up right now.

Oh, and a few people have requested the cuff pattern for the Surf Socks. It's very simple and just something I came up with on a whim. I'll post it tommorrow when I'm more lucid and can actually count rows.

3 comments:

grumperina said...

Hey, are you stealing my adjectives, or the other way around? I also called this pattern "fussy," but I think maybe you used the term first in an e-mail or in a previous post. Anyway, fussy and clever, I agree. We'll have to see if "pretty" makes it in there, hehe!

Dani said...

THose socks are coming along nicely! It sounds a bit confusing to me, but I think its one of those things you just figure out while you are knitting! THanks for sharing more pictures..

Mary Snyder said...

Glad the socks worked out ok for you. Since the intent of the padding is to be able to pad/reinforce the bottom of a sock using yarn that will not needle felt, you might consider not padding the whole bottom of the sock. I tend to wear out socks just under the bottom of the heel, so often just start the padding on the bottom of the heel flap and continue it until I am decreasing down the instep. If the sock yarn will felt, a little needle felting on the inside works just as well.

Post a Comment